The King County Democrats work across Martin Luther King Jr. County to promote Democratic values, principles, and policy directions by electing Democrats to office and championing sound public policies.
King County is the twelfth most populous county in the United States, and contains nearly a third of all voters in the State of Washington. Seventeen different legislative districts represent at least some precincts within parts of the county, as well as four of the state’s ten congressional districts. King County is one of the state’s most Democratic counties; it consistently votes for Democratic candidates at all levels.
The office of King County Executive is presently held by a Democrat (Dow Constantine) and has been Democratic for over twenty-five years. A supermajority of the King County Council‘s nine seats are also held by Democrats.
The King County Democratic Party is organized under Washington State Law and is chartered by the Washington State Democratic Party.
- Elect Democrats into office at the county and port level
- Strengthen and support the seventeen legislative district organizations, serving as a bridge between them so that, together, we can elect more Democrats into the state legislature and statewide offices
- Adopt a platform; make Democratic ideas and candidates visible and relevant
- Train, educate, and empower King County’s Democratic PCOs
- Carry out the statutory duties prescribed by the Washington State Constitution, Revised Code of Washington, and the state party’s charter and bylaws
- Be the face and voice of Democrats in King County; promoting greater awareness and understanding of progressive issues and concerns to the people of our region
Inclusiveness. Diversity in race, faith, nationality, age, and gender are our biggest assets. We value each others’ unique perspectives.
Cooperation. We promote a spirit of fairness, trustworthiness, respect, and teamwork among our members.
Innovation. We look for opportunities to think different, take strategic risks, and creatively innovate—leading to continuous improvement in everything we do.
Effectiveness. Our vision for our party and our organization will not be attained with ego, cheap shots, and self-righteousness. We remain committed to figuring out what works, and focusing on that.
Simplicity. Some things aren’t that difficult. Let’s keep the simple things simple, so the hard things become possible.
Transparency. We promote open and fair governance maintained by two-way communication channels and operational transparency, including: Easy access to information – Channels for feedback – Process for feedback disposition.
Kindness. The world has enough terrible things, let’s not contribute to it by being awful to each other or our opponents.